These cardamom cranberry cookies, or the fabulous CCCs, are a twist on the classic oatmeal raisin cookie. With just two little changes to the traditional ingredients we get something new and exotic! Well, ok, it's just a little twist, but enough to make these cookie jar staples a bit more exciting. They're also soft, chewy and keep very well - although less so in a glass cookie jar, from which they mysteriously vanish.
- 115g butter
- 2/3 cups light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 3/4 cups dried cranberries ("Craisins")
1. Beat the sugar and egg until light and fluffy - but not too much. Add the egg and vanilla, mixing thoroughly.
2. Whisk the dry ingredients in a medium bowl then gently mix into the sugar-egg-butter mixture. Stir in the oats and the cranberries.
3. Roll into smallish balls, about 1-11/2 inches in diameter. Pop in the fridge for 20-3o minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C. Place the cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating half-way through the baking time.
Makes about 18 yummy cookies.