"Hazelnut and chocolate cake with nutella icing" sounds pretty enticing. "Toasted hazelnut and chocolate cake with nutella icing" sounds even better. What is it about toasting? A few minutes in the oven and the hazelnuts filled the house with their perfume and warmth. And the simple but indulgent cake to which they became party went down a treat.
- 150g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g cake flour
- 200g finely chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 150g finely chopped, dark chocolate (70% is ideal)
Icing & decoration (estimated):
- 1 jar nutella
- 1 package cream cheese
- 50g dark chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C. Butter and flour a 20cm round springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Butter the parchment paper as well.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one and mix thoroughly after each addition. Add the vanilla.
3. In a seperate bowl sift together the flour and baking powder then stir in the chopped, cooled hazelnuts. Add to the butter and sugar mixture in batches and mix only until combined. Stir in the chocolate. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean
4. While the cake is cooling, whizz the nutella with the cream cheese until smooth. Gently unmould the cooled cake and slice in two. Sandwich with the icing, then apply the remainder to the top of the cake. Using a grater, grate the remaining dark chocolate until the cake to your heart's desire. Or just start eating.